Suzanne Barclay has 25 years as a professional planner. She has worked as lead staff on many planning and economic development projects.
Her CV is below:
Town of Orangetown, New York, 2001-2009
Executive Assistant to the Supervisor
- Assumed lead role for Supervisor’s Office on major public policy issues and planning initiatives including redevelopment process for 130 acres at Rockland Psychiatric Center; implementation of NYS Dept. of Transportation Route 303 Sustainable Development Study
- Designed and administered Town’s Affordable Housing Program for Active Adults
- Monitored planning process for Tappan Zee Bridge replacement project
- Assisted in budgeting process for $63 million budget, labor contract negotiations
- Organized Town’s first Recycling Fair, chaired Recycling Committee
- Represented Town Supervisor to businesses, agencies, community groups, constituents
Town of Orangetown Planning Board, 2000-2007 Board Member
Housing Action Council, 1998-2001
- Advised non-profit organizatio ns and prepared grant applications for private financing and public funding to develop affordable housing in Westchester and
Rockland Family Shelter, 1995-1998
- Oversaw daily operations and management of nonprofit agency serving victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Managed grants, property; supervised finance office and fundraising efforts.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Department of Mental Health (DMH), 1991-1994
- Facilitated 15-member inter-agency Governor’s Task Force on Mixed Population Housing mandated to analyze problems and formulate policy regarding housing for elderly, physically disabled and mentally ill tenants
- Designed participatory process for DMH Area Offices to prepare Housing Plans stating area housing principles, goals and strategies
- Administered DMH Rental Assistance Program, a $2.6m state-funded rental
subsidy program serving 870 mentally ill tenants living in residential programs
modeled on federal Section 8 Program
Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Executive Office of Communities and
Development, 1985 – 1991
Senior Regional Manager, Family Housing Coordinator
- Supervised team of project managers providing technical assistance to public housing authorities in developing family, elderly and special-needs housing
- Monitored projects from initial siting through occupancy
- Reviewed architectural design programs, contracts, schedule and budget
- Collaborated with local officials, abutters and state agencies to resolve siting issues, contract disputes
- Board Member, Rockland Municipal Planning Federation (2008-present)
- Member, Rockland Farm Alliance (2009-present)
- Member, Orangetown Environmental Committee (2008- present)
- Founding member, Rockland Riverfront Communities Council (2003 – present)
- Co-President, Tappan Zee High School PTSA (2004- 2006)
- Chair, Citizens Advisory Comm., NYS DOT Route 303 Sustainable Development Study (2000-01) Study designed to integrate land use and transportation improvements.
- Board Member, Nyack Center, Nyack, NY (1995-2000); Vice Chair (1997). Oversaw major renovation of historic 1850s church that is home to the Center.
- Co-Facilitator, Citizens Task Force for the Disposition of Rockland Psychiatric
- Center, (1997). Developed public participation process for future of 400 acres.
Education and Training
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, Master in City Planning
- Conway School of Landscape Design, Conway, MA, Certificate
- Washington University, St. Louis, MO, B.A., Sociology
- Greenway Community Alliance, Leadership Training Program, Glynwood, NY
- Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory, Introductory G.I.S. Workshop, Palisades, NY